Nat TaylorBlog, Web Design & East Boston

Digital Archiving Oral History Cassette Tapes

Published on

For no particularly good reason, I like archiving things. I haven’t seen many things disappear in my life, but still I like pushing physical things across the digital divide, where they are simple to enjoy and share. So when I heard that the East Boston Greenway Council’s oral history interviews from 1997 were sitting on cassette tapes, I agreed to digitize them. I have time—it is a pandemic after all—but still when the box of 21 tapes arrived, I was daunted. This is the story of archiving them.

Box of tapes

The first step as purchasing a cassette tape digitizer. Luckily the top result on Amazon had decent reviews, so within a few days a “Reshow Re-006 Super USB Cassette Capture” arrived. I expected to fuss around with drivers, but miraculously it worked as soon as I plugged in it’s USB cable and configured the Audacity software to use it as input.

I put in the first tape and within a few clicks I was recording, except I hadn’t yet figured out timed recording so I babysat it for 90-minutes. Turns out Audacity has a “Timer Record” function for exactly this purpose. Once it was captured, I discovered that the noise was significant. Luckily, Audacity once again had a “noise reduction” effect. It took me some time to figure it out, but as the instructions says, you select a few seconds of noise, click “get noise profile” then select the entire track and do “Noise Reduction…” On my 2016 MacBook, it takes about 1 second to process 1 minute of audio. The results were mixed, until I discovered that it is very important to select a good sample, and often the best sample was in between sides A and B (not at the beginning, since a “good” sample is one that has the feedback from the moving tape, but no voices. I also didn’t understand at first that “Save” meant keeping a lossless copy of the audio (which requires a couple gigabytes of disk space for a 90 minute tape.) I decided to apply the “Loudness Normalization” filter too, although I’m not sure it changed much. Then I exported to a variable rate MP3.

The next challenge was labels, which are named points in time. Around 1998, the project team carefully noted counter positions for noteworthy topics. Even once I discovered that a “counter” meant a revolution of the spool, I still wasn’t sure how to convert them to timestamps. The problem is illustrated below, where the figure highlights the fact that early in the tape a single revolution might contain several seconds of audio, whereas an almost empty spool contains barely 1 second. So, its non-linear and you need some polynomial formula solution.

A clear cassette highlight the problem of converting counters to times.

The final formula isn’t that tough, but it took me longer than I’m willing to admit to get there.

Popular Posts


Warning: Undefined array key 0 in /home/taylorwe/git/ntdc/functions.php on line 382

Post Navigation

«
»