Photopea: Browser-based Photoshop-esque Image Editor
I’m a Photoshop native, having been a user since age 14, but the cost is hard to justify as a light user so I’ve been trying replacements like GIMP with limited success. However, I recently discovered Photopea and I am thrilled.
With the goal of being the most advanced and affordable photo editor, it’s offers most of the features of Photoshop with an intuitive presentation right in the browser for free. Amazing!
Try it at photopea.com
The features currently include the following and more, plus new features are added about 6 times a year.
- Layers – to split images into several parts
- Layer masks – just generally useful
- Blend modes – specifying, how layers “combine” with each other
- Brush – there must be a way to change the color of pixels
- Selections – choosing, which pixels of layer you want to edit
- Procedural adjustments – changing brightness, hue, saturation, convolutions (blur, sharpening …) etc.
Ivan Kutskir, the developer, wrote up a little bit about creating Photopea–and it’s quite an amazing story.